Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DH Pass Crab

The deer hair ("DH") pass crab.  This pattern is another Tarpon crab fly I put together.  I'm sure other crab eaters would take a bite as well but the structure and style is directed at enticing Tarpon.

Hook: Gamakatsu SC-15 2H  size 3/0
Tail: Two pair of tan grizzly neck hackles plus one tan and one purple rubber leg (doubled over)
Eyes: EP mono eyes
Body: Tan (natural) deer hair with purple and blue ice dub fibers mixed in.  The deer hair is spun and trimmed to a crab shape

Deer hair crabs are nothing new to the world of saltwater fly fishing.  This particular crab pattern is my recipe only to the extent that I didn't follow a previously designed crab recipe when I was tying (though the addition of the ice dub to the deer hair may be a new twist).  You may substitute the ice dub with bits of Krystal Flash for the same effect.

This crab pattern designed for ocean side or beach side Tarpon, which are cruising outside or near passes in southwest Florida (the "mud" line).  I suspect it could double as a permit fly when permit are cruising with the Tarpon in the same context (big permit will do that from time to time).

Full disclosure, I have no idea if this fly actually works but it swims properly and looks "fishy" so I suspect it will.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment